Tonight: at Yankees
7:05, Yankee Stadium
TV/radio: Fox Sports Sun, ESPN; 95.3-FM/620-AM, 680-AM (Spanish)
Rays info: 1-888-326-7297
Rays: LH Blake Snell (1-0, 2.08). Snell worked three shutout innings vs. Yankees on Aug. 7, then five innings on Wednesday vs. Red Sox, allowing a total of four hits with 11 strikeouts. He is 3-6, 4.23 in 17 starts vs. Yankees, though 1-5, 5.82 ERA in New York.
Yankees: RH Masahiro Tanaka (0-0, 2.31). Tanaka torments the Rays regularly by getting them to beat the ball into the ground or flail at it. He held them to one hit over five innings on Aug. 7, and overall is 10-4, 3.07 in 19 starts vs. Rays, with 125 strikeouts in 120 1/3 innings.
Wednesday: at Yankees, 7:05, Rays, RH Tyler Glasnow (0-1, 7.04); Yankees, RH Gerrit Cole (4-0, 2.76)
Thursday: at Yankees, 1:05. Rays, TBA; Yankees, LH LH James Paxton (1-1, 7.04)
Friday: vs. Blue Jays, 6:40. Rays, TBA; Jays, TBA
Saturday: vs. Blue Jays, 6:40. Rays, TBA; Jays, TBA
Sunday: vs. Blue Jays, 1:10. Rays, TBA; Jays, TBA
Monday: vs. Blue Jays, 3:10. Rays, TBA; Jays, TBA
LH Jose Alvarado, shoulder inflammation, 10-day, eligible Aug. 26
RH Andrew Kittredge, elbow tear, 45-day, eligible Sept. 26
RH Charlie Morton, shoulder inflammation, 10-day, eligible Aug. 20
RH Oliver Drake, biceps tendinitis, 10-day, eligible Aug. 19
LH Colin Poche, Tommy John surgery, 45-day, out for season
OF Randy Arozarena*, positive COVID-19 test, on rehab assignment
LHP Brendan McKay*, positive COVID-19 test, on rehab assignment
* Minor-league injured list
Pitchers (14): RH Nick Anderson, LH Anthony Banda, LH Jalen Beeks, RH Diego Castillo, RH Yonny Chirinos, RH John Curtiss, RH Pete Fairbanks, RH Tyler Glasnow, LH Aaron Loup, RH Trevor Richards, RH Chaz Roe, LH Blake Snell, RH Ryan Thompson, LH Ryan Yarbrough
Catchers (2): Michael Perez, Mike Zunino
Infielders (7): Willy Adames, Mike Brosseau, Ji-Man Choi, Yandy Diaz, Brandon Lowe, Jose Martinez, Joey Wendle
Outfielders (5): Kevin Kiermaier, Austin Meadows, Manuel Margot, Hunter Renfroe, Yoshi Tsutsugo
Taxi squad (5): C Ronaldo Hernandez, RH Sam McWilliams, INF/OF Brian O’Grady, INF Daniel Robertson, RH Aaron Slegers
Some things different about 2020
• Season shortened to 60 games, about 37 percent of usual 162.
• Teams playing only against their division and corresponding geographical division in other league, so for Rays, AL and NL East.
* Doubleheader games are seven innings rather than nine.
• Rosters were 30 players to start season, but were reduced to 28 and will stay at 28 through the postseason.
• Fans not allowed in Trop, at least at start of season. There are plans, depending on virus situation, to host 5,000-7,000 a game later in season.
• Fake fan noise, created from recordings of actual crowds and adapted for and then from MLB The Show video game, will be played, along with more music and sound effects.
• Most weekday home games start at 6:40 p.m., moved up from 7:10. All games on Fox Sports Sun.
• For extra-inning games, each team will start with runner on second. The runner is the batter who made last out of previous inning or a pinch-runner.
• All pitchers must face minimum of three batters, except for injury or illness.
• DH will be used in both leagues.
• Injured list stays are 10 days for all players (shortened from 15 for pitchers), and long-term list is 45 days, down from 60.
• Games halted due to weather before becoming official will be resumed at later date, not started over.